Five Days Mount Kenya Climbing Sirimon - Chogoria Route
Day 1: Nairobi - Nanyuki - Old Moses Camp
Depart Nairobi at seven o'clock and drive to Nanyuki town arriving in time for lunch. As you have lunch the cook will be shopping for your food for the next four days. After lunch proceed to Sirimon park gate and after formalities start trekking following the track as it winds uphill though the forest which becomes heather land after about three hours arriving Oldmoses Camp for dinner and overnight.
2650 - 3300m, 3-4 hours hiking time, 9km, 750m ascent
Day 2: Old Moses - Shipton Camp
Todays hike will take about six to seven hours crossing Liki and Mackinders valleys, there is a great view of Tereri and Sendeo peaks. And also a great view of Nanyuki town and beautiful terrain. Shipton's camp has also an excellent setting with the north faces of Nelion peak and Batian peak visible from the camp.
3300m - 4200m, 6-7 hours, 14km, 900m ascen
Day 3: Shipton Camp
We spend the day acclimatizing. Walk to Kami Hut 4500m, down to Oblong and Hausberg tarns through the western terminal gaining an elevation of 370m. Walk back to Shipton arriving in time for hot lunch. Dinner and overnight at the camp.
Day 4: Shiptons Camp - Point Lenana - Mount Meru Bandas
Wake up very early at 2:30am and have a light breakfast; coffee or tea with some bicuits, depart camp with the aim of summiting point lenana. Hike up a steep stony scree that cuts through a cliff clearing visible part towards lower Hall Tarns arriving point Lenana 4985m at 6:30am, the hike takes about three hours. After the sunrise, descend down to Mintos Camp for your full breakfast and further down to Mount Meru Bandas 2950m for dinner and overnight. The descent walk takes about seven hours.
4200m - 4985m - 2950m, 10-11 hours, 32km, 785m ascent
Day 5: Mount Meru Bandas - Chogoria Town - Nairobi
After breakfast, descend down for two hours to forest clearance to catch a 4x4 transfer vehicle to Chogoria Village, early lunch and then transfer back to Nairobi.
End of services
- Camping Equipment
- Transport to and from the base of the mountain
- Fullboard Accommodation on the mountain
- Park Fees
- services of an english speaking guide, porters and a cook
- Rescue fee in case of an emergency
- H.F Radio Communication
- Hiking Equipments
- International air transportation to and from Nairobi
- Expenses of personal nature such as visas, travel/baggage insurance,laundry, beverages, tips etc
Required Hiking Equipments
- Sleeping Bag 15°C [4 seasons]
- Rain Trouser
- Rain Jacket [Poncho]
- Balaclava [Hat Woolen]
- Warm Clothes down jacket
- Thermal underwear
- Fleece Jacket
- Hiking Boots
- Walking Sticks
- Head Torch
- Ruck Suck 65L [Carried by porters]
- Day Pack 35 [For your personal effects]
NB:// - Mosquito nets are not required
- You only require bottled water on the 1st day. The rest of the days we usually boil or purify the water with purifing tablets and you just re fill your drinking bottles.
- Proper equipments are vital to safe and enjoyable trek.